A dividend cut is something that we remember a long time! Let’s make sure it doesn’t happen again. Today, we review 4 dividend payers that might be on the edge of cutting their distributions. By going through their business model and red flags, you’ll be able to quickly know what to avoid in the future. Should you hold any of these, we’ll also give you better options in the same sector.
- Omega Healthcare Investors (OHI) is specialized in healthcare facilities. Yet, the REIT didn’t increase its dividend payment for the last 8 quarters! What’s going wrong for OHI? Why Medical Properties Trust (MPW) seems like a better option in this industry.
- True North Commercial REIT (TNT.UN.TO) shows $1.4B in assets and an occupancy rate of 96%. With its stable tenants, everything seems to be bright for TNT. However, the payout ratio tells a different story. Allied Properties, Smart Centres, CT REIT or Canadian NET REIT are all showing better metrics and higher dividend safety.
- Chartwell Retirement Residences (CSH.UN.TO) has had disappointing quarters in the late year but still seems solid. What makes it a potential dividend cutter?
- This list is all made of REITs. Why is this sector such a good place to find potential dividend cuts?
- Choice Properties (CHP.UN.TO) is partially owned by Loblaw and Weston and it’s one of Canada’s largest REITs. Is it really a candidate for a dividend cut?
- How a Screener, a SWOT analysis and a look at the payout ratios trend are the key points to prevent dividend cuts.
The Dividend Triangle can’t be found in investment books as it has been created by Mike. It consists of looking at revenue growth, earnings growth, and dividend growth as a first set of filters in your stock research. In this episode, we present 4 stocks with a perfect dividend triangle to illustrate how it leads to robust companies!
They are simple to understand. They pay a generous yield. Many of them also make monthly distributions. REITs have everything to be loved by investors… but you must not fall for the high yield trap! Here is everything you need to know to choose the best Canadian REITs!
The Best Dividends to Your Inbox!
Download our Top Stocks for 2022 booklet now and do not miss out on the good stuff! Receive our Portfolio Workbook and weekly emails including our latest podcast episode!
Follow Mike, The Dividend Guy, on:
If you have ideas for guests, topics for The Dividend Guy Blog podcast, or simply to say hello, then shoot me an email.
This podcast episode has been provided by Dividend Stocks Rock.