Howdy there partner! Welcome to the September 28, 2007 edition of The Dividend Guy’s Weekly Roundup of interesting articles to do with dividend investing, or other articles I learned something from. I hope you receive something from these as well…
1. My Money Blog discusses the Dow Jones Industrial Index and the flaws that exist within its methodology.
2. Barron’s discusses the differences between a stock buyback and a dividend payout, and the recent trend for companies to favor buybacks versus increases in dividend payments. The article does not hold much hope for dividends, but my opinion is that as baby boomer’s need more and more income from their stocks, there will be even more of a push for companies to pay out earnings.
3. Donaldson Capital wrote an interesting piece on sings the praises of the Canadian economy and the fact that Canada’s natural resource oriented economy will insulate it from the economic slowdown that may hit most of the rest of the G-7 nations. Who knows, but it is an interesting outlook nonetheless.
4. Do you trust your broker. If you live the U.S. then you can check up on them before using one, or look up your current broker to see if there is anything funky about their professional history. The Sun Financial Diary provides information on how to do a check for items such as regulatory actions, investment-related civil suits, customer disputes that contain allegations of sales practice violations against brokers, all felony charges, security violations etc.
5. Looking for how people are feeling about the market. Fat Pitch Financials presented the results of a poll that asked people to determine which stock class will outperform the others in the last quarter of 2007 – good for you short term traders out there. International stocks won out and for good reason I beleive.
6. Canadian income trusts still have the lure of high yields, but is it going to last given the government action on them? One Guy’s Investments presented his opinion on the topic with a very thorough discussion.
That should do it for this week. Thanks to all the great bloggers who wrote these posts!